Last night as we walked down our street, we saw a cow tied to a tree. I found this a bit odd for our street. In the week that we've been here, I've seen sheep, street dogs and plenty of donkeys, but I had never seen a cow so close to our house. Four men were sitting close by, occasionally pulling its tail and playing around.
Across the street, in the open lot, a large tent was set up. To those that have lived here a while, this was clearly a wedding in the making. The cow would be slaughtered for the wedding, which would take place on the other side of the dusty road.
We maybe made a few awkward jokes about the cow's purpose in this world, and carried on our way.
Flash forward four hours. Driving home after our dinner, we looked to the same tree. The cow was dead, with feet bound, lying on the blood-stained sand. The men were now guarding their prized meat.
This happens in all meat-eating societies and it really shouldn't be shocking. Yet, we go to such great lengths to isolate and mask the food and consumption chain in US culture that it
was unnerving.
And I am sure we'll see it again. My goal is for next time be invited to the wedding!
Baby, Biscuits 'n Gravy & Grandpa
14 years ago
I'm thinking we might be able to simplify Justin/Melinda wedding plans if we entertain a few of these Sundanese traditions.... what do you think???
ReplyDeleteYou might NOT want to forward this one on to my mother.
ReplyDeleteyou may NOT want to forward this one on to my mother :)
ReplyDelete