Sunday, August 17, 2008

Working Girl

I have to admit- it doesn't feel good to fight through the first day of the week, only to realize at the end that its only Sunday afternoon.
Here are three of my boys working really hard on their writing assessment. One wrote over and over again, "Please, I'm begging you to let me out of ESL and let me go to Arabic!" He swears its nothing personal...
The ESL department tests the kids in August, December and May. It's a lot... but I guess not when compared to the absurd amounts of assessments done on kids in most public schools. For the writing portion, they are writing me letters about anything they want. A few highlights:

"On my vacation we (which is my family) went to London, Paris, and Swiss. They say it will be raining so we brought umbrella, but it didn't rain. (except one day!) The point is that umbrella is heavy!!"

"I study a school it calls KAS. It's very beautiful, teachers and classmate are friendly! My mother said: It's very good school. If you don't understand, you can ask teacher. How about you? If you wants to china, I can teacher you chinese."

"I've a lot of fun in my village. There, my grandparents, uncles and aunts, feed fishes. They give the fish food everyday let the fish grow bigger and ready to sell them. E very week the fish saler take our fish to sell and gave the money from the market that sell our fishes to my grandfather because his the want who incharge of the fish money. Later, my grandfather divide the money to my aunts and uncles. With the money, thats why until now my family in Indonesia can live in happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment