Monday, August 11, 2008

A typical ride home

I sneakily documented our drive home from school today. While we have a ride to school in the morning with other teachers that have cars, we often find ourselves leaving in the afternoon at different times. Without car, we venture out the gates and to the main road where we flag down a rickshaw (tuk-tuk). We're then in the awkward position of bargaining and explaining where we want to go with limited Arabic. Typically, it costs between $1-2.50 US to get home. Split between two or three people, its not a bad ride.
Though honestly, sometimes it IS a bad ride. We've been here less than two weeks and have gotten into one minor accident and ran out of gas in the middle of an intersection. I can only imagine the adventures we have yet to live!

The view of the school. The main gate is where the UN truck is parked. The 'beautiful' expensive wall was put in by the US government a few years ago. I promise, the inside is green and gorgeous.
Often weaving through traffic are carts like this- unfortunately, I missed the donkey leading the cart completely. Next time...



So when we ran out of gas in the intersection, the nice guy pulled a 20 oz soda bottle of gasoline out from under his seat and ran to the back of the rickshaw to 'fill 'er up'. I snapped this of his seat and 'dashboard' while he was gone. Anybody with a more accurate name than 'dash', please let me know. I'm at a loss here.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should forget trying to think of a better name for the dashboard and spend your time praying!! WOW ...We saw a lot of these in The Dominican Republic, I didn't try it. Heard there is a weight limit.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete