Tuesday, August 12, 2008

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

The first day of school was unlike any first day that I have been a part of. The morning was spent broken up in division- high school, middle school and elementary. After playing some ice-breaker games, we had our returning kids in teams making 'survival tips' presentations for the new kids while they were getting a tour of the campus. This worked really well. The kids that had been around a while were really happy to show off all that they knew. And I think the new kids found it useful. I know I learned a few things!

In the afternoon, we split the entire school into 12 teams, K-12. They created team names, team flags and a chant. After the 'opening ceremonies', the teams went to different field day stations. I was in the middle of the soccer field, in charge of the goal kicking station. No shade in sight! Despite the heat, it was an excellent way for teachers and kids to get to know each other. Very successful!

The kids seemed really sweet. It was really great to see the high schoolers helping out the little ones. There is something really valuable there, I think... the relationship between kids of different ages. It was really refreshing to see these big, tough-looking guys helping a five year old kick a soccer ball.

We were all exhausted at the end of the day- tomorrow, we start with our classes. After running around in the sun all day, I think we are all welcoming time with our classes in our cooler classrooms.

I'm hoping that my feet don't get quite as dusty while teaching IN my classroom! ha!

2 comments:

  1. Your feet are MUCH dirtier than Emily's! Does that mean you worked harded?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously long skinny feet run in your family, I knew which was yours before I even saw your Mom's comment. Got your feet from Phyllis! Tina

    ReplyDelete