I have one student that showed up a week ago with NO English. She is an adorable little 11 year old in pigtails with a great smile and we have a lot of fun. I spend hours every day dancing around, drawing pictures and playing charades with her. It seems to be working.
Today I was helping her in her science class. She had been working on some basic vocabulary so that she could understand the lesson. While the teacher was reviewing, I was working with her to see that she still had a basic understanding of the vocab needed for the lab... The conversation went as follows:
Ms. P: "Do you remember these words?" "What does HEAVY mean?"
Student: " Heavy- you."
Ms. P: "What does LIGHT mean?"
Student: "Light- ME!" (bursts into giggles)
I laugh with her, and we both disrupt the lesson.
I go on-
Ms. P: "What does BIG mean?"
Student: "Big- you." (smile)
Ms. P: (understanding where this was headed...) "And SMALL?"
Student: "Small- me!" (another burst of laughter)
Absolutely amazing. She's a joker. In English.
And I'm feeling pretty proud.
Baby, Biscuits 'n Gravy & Grandpa
14 years ago
I'd like to see the video! :^)
ReplyDeletewow teaching a kid to speak english is one thing...teaching her to act like a member of our family is another. way to go!
ReplyDelete