Monday, August 4, 2008

Lost... and found...

So we've been sorting out this issue of lost baggage with the school's community liaison. Basically, it is his job to have a lot of friends in important places. With those connections in place, he can easily put out any fires. Red tape seems to magically disappear.

We saw a softer side of this man on our way back to our apartment with our bags. We had been listening to his tribe's music on cassette tape. We managed to all sing along a bit, despite only one of us knowing the words. Good fun.
Abruptly, he ejects the tape and starts complimenting American music. Ok. With you so far. He opens the glove compartment (would it be called a 'glove compartment' in 105 degree weather?) and takes out another tape. Handing the case to me, I see that it is Bryan Adams "Best Ballads". Excellent. "You like Bryan Adams?" I ask. "Oh, yes, yes."

I ask him if he knows the words to sing along. "Yes, yes". Smiles all around.

He puts in the tape. I anxiously anticipate a full-blown "everything I do, I do it for you" sing-a-long....

And... "Barbara Annnnnn Oh take my haaaand... Barbara Aaaannn...."

What?!? The poor guy has no idea that he is running around embarrassing himself with a Bryan Adams case while its actually a lesser-embarrassing Beach Boys tape.

To be honest, with my bags in hand, it really didn't matter to me what was coming through those speakers.

Our apartment building:

4 comments:

  1. only 105, eh? We're at 108 with the heat index...so we DO know how it is, today anyway!!
    I'm so relieved you have luggage...I was beginning to worry about the lack of clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding your lost luggage! And make sure to give your Sudanese a good education in American music while you're there. Confusing Bryan Adams with the Beach boys is simply not acceptable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear luggage has been found! I could not believe that you only had 4 bags. When I did disney 15 years ago for just 6 months I had about 6-8 bags, one just for shoes! I don't think I would have made it! when does your school year start?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rach! Glad you finally got your bags. Sam's bags didn't arrive either. We had to go to the airport for days. The bags were always 'on the next flight'. When finally one day they arrived! How people knew their way around always boggled me. Sounds like you are getting a knack for directions- good luck! Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete