Sunday, August 10, 2008

the farmer's market worker in me...


Presently limited in pictures, I did a little internet research to find this photo. While not perfectly representative of what's currently in season, it does show you where I'm buying my fruits and vegetables. These stands are all over the city. Most groceries don't sell much produce, and so this is where you would buy it. The prices vary greatly based on the vendor, the selection and your bargaining abilities. I'm still working on those.

So right now, at a veggie stand like this you would typically find arugula, potatoes, red and yellow onions, eggplant, a crazy green, long, odd shaped thing thats like an eggplant, garlic, watercress, cucumbers, and herbs like cilantro, mint and dill. I'm sure I'm forgetting something...
People tell me that the selection grows as the Nile recedes throughout the year.

Prices are often comparable to NYC, and everything is measured in Kilos. A kilo is equal to 2.2 US pounds. Tomatoes are very expensive right now- I just bought a half kilo for 4 Sudanese pounds. Thats just over a pound for 2 dollars.
Onions are really cheap, getting them for about 50 cents a lb.
I bought a kilo of cucumbers for 3 Sudanese pounds. Thats over a pound of cukes for $1.50.
I bought a huge bunch of dill for 50 cents US.
(can you piece all that together? add some local Feta cheese... It was one hell of a greek salad!)

There really aren't many restaurants here, so I'm sure we'll find ourselves getting really creative with the cooking! It's too early to miss NYC eats.... Those laments will come later!

1 comment: