So, I was teaching in Brooklyn last year, where I would make these big plans for cool projects. In order for the kids to actually DO the projects, I would have to take myself to Target and make sure to get a megapack of colored pencils, markers, or whatever I saw fit. (Or whatever I could afford.)
I would plan a project for several classes... and imagine my surprise, when.. by the third class, HALF of the markers/colored pencils/fancy paper would be missing! Broken on the floor or just missing completely.
How were the other groups to complete their projects? I never really found an answer for that. They got pretty ugly by the end- patched together with brown markers and yellow pencils. (The red and blue were ALWAYS the first to go- colors of the Dominican and Puerto Rican flags!)
Flash forward. I've been teaching three weeks. I have not purchased ANY markers or pencils of any kind. Nearly every day, I have kids using colors in some way. AND THEY ARE ALL STILL THERE!
This isn't really showing much. It may be showing that my new students have more respect for the teacher's/school's things. It may be showing that with smaller classes I can keep better track of things. Or, it might just be showing that those kids in Brooklyn didn't have colored pencils and markers at home and wanted some.
Just some thoughts.
Baby, Biscuits 'n Gravy & Grandpa
14 years ago
Oh, how true, how true, how true. Crayons were even worse. Yikes.
ReplyDelete