No Ethiopia. The visas just aren't coming around. As an (unequal) alternative, the school has organized a 4 day trip for us to the north. (See photo) Its like Egypt. But not. And they are arranging the travel permits for us.
The other six days of our vacation will be spent in Khartoum. Our travel within Sudan is limited- you need an official travel permit to go more than 25 km outside of the city. Of course, to the South and Darfur, they are hard to get. And now its harder and harder for Americans to get permits to other places, like Port Sudan, where we wanted to go for the rest of break.
So, without going into too much detail, we are stuck. And while excited to see more of Sudan, we are also very disappointed. Our next chance to travel isn't until December!
(Did I mention that I was supposed to be in Addis for my birthday? and not here?)
So sorry your vacation plans are not going to be what you want. It is always such a disappointment. We just cancelled our trip to Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Park and Rocky Mountain National Park for the first part of October. It stinks after planning for a year, but everything happens for a reason I guess. Billy and I are still going to New York/Jersey the end of October for the Loser Chiefs game against the Jets. Should be fun!
ReplyDelete