Monday, January 26, 2009

Wow.

We have been meaning to get our cat neutered for many reasons. Number one being that its said to improve cat behavior. And maybe, just maybe, Toab needs a little help in that department.

Finally, we called a vet. And the vet said to come tonight- Ok! Poor Toab, didn't even know it was coming. We called Mr. Yousef, the school-appointed taxi, and headed on our way.

Upon arrival, we realized that we were at the Police Dog training facility. After being ushered past a German Shepherd (mid-surgery), we awkwardly sat five feet away from the procedure, trying to relax our cat (who's attempting to force his way out of a backpack).

And the fun was just beginning! After the doctor finished with the dog, we were escorted through the grounds. We were soon walking between two rows of kennels, with dogs barking and going crazy. Um. Not just a few dogs. A hundred BIG dogs. (kennel #42 was particularly viscious!)
You guessed it, cat-in-a-backpack LOVED this!

This story could go on all night. But, let's just say that it didn't take one tranquilizer shot, but three to chill out poor Toab. And in the States, Emily couldn't re-create her role in the procedure without some kind of state license.

We watched the whole surgery. Of course, Emily was braver than I. I had to take breaks and freak out- which gave the doctors a bit of entertainment. I learned a lot tonight.

Its now been over an hour since we left the Police Dogs Hospital. Toab is still asleep in his box with his tongue hanging out. Reason for concern? We hope not.

They swear he'll be back to normal by tomorrow. He might, but I'm really not sure I will be!
What a night!

1 comment:

  1. Rach I think this is the first step of what could become an exciting career change opportunity when you come home! Heck, you could even arrange to start your Vet. classes when your home this summer!

    ReplyDelete