Wednesday, January 21, 2009

OBAMA!



See, the inauguration happened in the evening for us here. So we got to celebrate with a proper party! Again, our good friend Chuck was a gracious host for the event.
It was an awesome mix of people- with friends from Britain, Germany, Somalia, Spain... working for schools, NGOs and embassies.

I think there are a lot of us, Americans all over the world, struggling to find the words to express this feeling. And perhaps we can't explain it because its foreign to us- looking at the capitol building and the flags and the whole display- seeing it as a symbol of hope and pride. To be crying a little bit, gushing joy.

Several times I looked over at British and German friends next to me. Should I be embarrassed? Is this the sort of thing that angers so many people around the world? The answer was a resounding NO. The world is crying with us. Cheering with us. Hoping with us.
That's the new feeling. And we all, at least in our little corner of the world, loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment