Saturday, November 22, 2008

Early morning

I'm not so good at waking up in those early hours. Thankfully, my friend Audrey is. She whispered outside my tent before sunrise, and I snuck off into the night.

We climbed a large sand dune, unsure of what was on the other side/ We reached the top and looked out- Over there! Pyramids! As we gazed off in the distance, I looked a little to our right. There were more- closer to us! Just a couple hundred meters away! Wow! (I hope the exclamation points convey my excitement!!!)

Audrey went to climb rocks and watch the sunrise. Me, I walked towards the pyramids. Alone. Nobody in sight. Just me and these ancient structures. A cemetary. I sat on a rock, with the sun rising behind me. It was amazing to sit in silence, the desert stretching out for miles in all directions, watching the pyramids slowly light up. Wow.
After the sunrise, we walked all the way to the pyramids and explored a bit (before the kids broke the powerful silence of the moment). Really amazing to experience it as they have been for thousands of years, without rope and red tape and fences and entry tickets. Just pyramids in the open desert. Just as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment