Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Haboob!

I have finally snapped some pictures of an infamous 'sandstorm'! While I have experienced several, I hadn't taken photos for two main reasons- 1), I had never been at the right place with my camera. and 2) Often, they are small and not very photogenic.
These 'haboobs' come out of nowhere. Sometimes you can smell it- the metallic taste of sand is in the air. Other times, a headache tells you one is on its way.
This time, it was our friend Rosie, calling to tell us to hurry to the roof to catch it coming in.
We ran upstairs to our roof and within three minutes, the daylight was consumed by the large, dark cloud. It was abolutely amazing to see the process.
I only wish the photos could capture the whipping of the cool wind and the frantic feel on the streets as people run for shelter.

The best part of this whole process is that it tends to cool the city for a day or two. This time, it was followed by amazing lighting storms (video to follow) and then, unfortunately, more rain.
We are NOT ready for more rain!

2 comments: