Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hila Hop

We found another friend-of-a-friend through a New York connection. Sometimes, I really do believe it's a small world!
She is here working in the arts scene here- a scene that we certainly never realized existed!

Last night she took us to Khartoum North, to a cultural center where they have been having live performances every night for the entire month of Ramadan.

It was pretty awesome. We were the only khawadja (foreigners) there, and many people were really excited to welcome us. There were several different musical performances, representative of all different parts of Sudan. It was definitely something that I knew must exist here, but haven't had any connection to help find it.

We had to leave early, just missing the comedy troupe's performance. See some of their work HERE. (I don't understand it either.) In the end, we did meet a few of the actors, and will hopefully be more connected for going-ons in the future.

Below you will find a couple of short videos of performances. A few more photos will follow!


1 comment: