Things are a bit crazy here... We have 4.5 days of school left, and we all leave town in 9 days! This makes for insane times, as we are marking and finishing up the year at the same time as we're running around to goodbye parties and doing last-minute shopping.
Goodbye parties here are often enjoyable because people sell or give away things that they can't take with them. We scored big last night- Tums, picture frames and bandaids! All to one end- more space in the suitcases in August!
Yesterday we ventured out to the 'Tourist Souk' in downtown Khartoum. These are all really shoddy tourist shops with very few things made in Sudan. Most are your classic East African wood carvings- cool, but not Sudanese. And a joyful experience, to say the least!
Baby, Biscuits 'n Gravy & Grandpa
14 years ago
Hi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteThis is not so much a comment as a hello. Jeff sent me the link to your blog and I have just finished reading through all of your postings. What more can I say but absolutely FASCINATING. How interesting that we
both are experiencing life far away
from New York in cultures previously unknown to us - you in Sudan and me in
China.
Speaking of which, I am actually back in NY now having returned at the end of March following a stay of 6 1/2 months. I truly miss being there and hope to return again in July for another indefinite stay.
I very much enjoyed your writing and found it informative, interesting, and indeed quite illuminating. Sorry I don't have your e-mail address because if I did I'd write more.
Take good care of yourself and make the most of every moment.
Hugs,
LEE