We really didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. A friend got the tickets for us- US$10. We just knew to show up at "The Officers' Club" at 8pm. And so we did!
We were there to see Al Balabil (The Nightingales)- three ladies with a long, successful career as performers in Sudan and other parts of Africa. It seems they were known as "the Supremes of Sudan" in the 1970s! Read all about them HERE.
A super-exciting evening out in the great city of Khartoum!
In doing my internet research to learn about these ladies, I also found that there is an annual Sudanese Music and Dance Festival in the United States every summer! This year's location is still to be determined- but I may be seeing these girls again in July! :)
sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't sign them for LakeFest! Maybe they'll be at the Effingham fair!!!
ReplyDeletewhat do you mean you may see them again in july? are you coming homefor a bit then?
ReplyDelete