We were invited to a function at the Qatari embassy to celebrate their national day. I knew to dress up, but with the invitation in Arabic, my understanding of what I was actually getting into was limited.
And then I arrived. The outside of the embassy compound was surrounded with embassy cars (the fancy ones that we don't drive) and drivers. The gates were open, with security checking admission tickets and ID. The red carpet (albeit with a few bumps- it was still Sudan, after all) was laid out, leading us around the palace. As we turned the corner, we saw the Ambassador and several other men in traditional dress, greeting guests. Beyond them was a wall of photographers. Oh, yes- and videographers sending our arrival to several screens set up around the courtyard. We greeted the Ambassador. He knew that we were from the American School and offered a handshake and some kind words. The other nice-looking gentlemen didn't offer their hands- us being ladies and all.
The large palmtree-dotted grass courtyard was surrounded in Qatar Airways freebie tables and massive buffets of food. MASSIVE BUFFETS OF FOOD. Of the approximately 300 people in attendance, 20 were women. Most men were in traditional jalibiyas. And there was one camel, sitting quite well-behaved in the corner.
The Ambassador gave a speech, followed by the Sudanese Minister of Culture. Since we couldn't understand, we smartly took this time to position ourselves next to the plates.
At the end of the speeches, the Ambassador took a very large sword and cut a cake with the Qatari flag in half. He then raised the sword, laughing, and shook it in the air. Quite entertaining.
After the speeches, it was proven- they weren't simply massive buffets of food, but massive buffets of delicious food.
It was a pretty amazing event. I chatted with a few Ambassadors, though felt quite out of my league and stuck with the ones whose children I teach. Al-Turabi was in attendance, one of the biggest names in Sudanese politics of the last 25 years. I'm sure there were other important people that I didnt' recognize.
I didn't take photos. Had to play it cool, you know... But this night is definitely burned into my memory. Some people live like this all the time! Crazy! (But really nice buffet!) And did I mention I got a Qatar Airways hat?
Baby, Biscuits 'n Gravy & Grandpa
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment